Friday, October 23, 2009

Fox In The Water

When Sadie first started talking, Peter taught her to say "cheers." He showed her how to "cheers" her water to ours and so on. Now, Sadie says "cheers" to everything and I mean EVERYTHING. If I am wearing socks and she is wearing socks, "cheers." If Peter is eating cereal and Sadie is eating cereal, "cheers." If I have a pen in my hand and Sadie is watching TV "cheers."
The other day we went to the zoo with my dad. Sadie was riding on his shoulders when up walked another little girl on her dad's shoulders......."cheers" says Sadie as she's waving to the girl.

I usually take at least one picture a day of Sadie to send to Peter while he's at work. Now, when I say "Sadie can I take a picture." She'll say "cheese daddy!" If she sees a camera she'll say "camra, ni picta fa dada."
When the home phone rings she says "hoppaaaaaa!" Hoppa is what she calls my dad.
If my cell rings, she says "daddeeeeeee."
When we ask if she has had fun today she says "gama hoppa." No idea why grandma/hoppa would be an answer to a yes or no question, but it is.
Sometimes she'll say "gama hoppa" so many times she starts to cry.
Seriously kid, if you want to just go live with them, it could be arranged I'm sure.

Our pediatrician asked me a few visits ago if Sadie was mimicking me yet. At the time she was just starting too. Now she does it with everything, brushing my hair, putting on makeup "Sadie makeup, mommy makeup" she says.
I made a little kitchen for Sadie to play with out of an old TV stand and some pots and pans so she could cook while I cook. "I maka something." "I maka din din" "I maka soup "she'll say.
From day one, while she would sleep in the sling, I would cook with her on my chest, talking her through the whole process. Now it's funny to hear and see what she has picked up over time.

At night sometimes we read Dr. Seuss. One of our favorites is "The Fox in Socks" or "fuckin sok." This makes us laugh so naturally we ask her to say other things.
Fox in the water = "fuckin water"
Fox in the bushes = "fuckin bushes"
We shouldn't laugh but sometimes, we just can't help it, you know?

I like to tickle Sadie. She's very ticklish and her laugh cracks me up. When we tickle her she giggles and then says "more tickee you" when we stop. Sometimes she even grabs our hands says "I tickee you" and makes us tickle her.

Now that Sadie is starting to repeat everything we say, one of my favorite things to do is play music for her and see what she does.
Kings of Leon's song "Use Somebody" is one her most favorite. Every time it comes on she'll scream "sombaya, sombaya I love this song." She giggles and sings along the best she can.
Another fave is Lady Gaga. Yes, I know, Lady Gaga. I'm a little ashamed to admit that I like to listen to pop radio stations, but I do when we are in the car. I just can't help myself.
When we walked into Trader Joes the other day Kings of Leon was on the stereo and Sadie screams "sombaya, sombaya, mommy sombaya I love this song."
Of course this brought the house down. I was just thankful it wasn't Lady Gaga and I'd be outed.

Almost every night we have a dance party, just the 3 of us. Sadie will make us do a group dance, then she does a few somersaults and then we get to do our own thing. Sort of how they do it on Yo Gabba Gabba, which by the way I am realizing is teaching my kid A LOT.
Sadie counts to 13 in English and Spanish, she says her ABCs and and can beat box almost as good as Biz Markie!

I try really hard to go to the park as much as we can so we can run around and have fun. It's hard though, sometimes I just don't want to and we end up sitting on the patio playing with sidewalk chalk listening to noises.
I mistakenly thought Sadie was saying something else when she was trying to say that she heard a bus. To my surprise girl said "no mommy, listen BUS." Seriously?

One night while we were hanging out at Gary and Dwain's, Sadie and Addie were playing princess with Addie's costumes. Sadie dressed up in tiara, heels and wand and pranced around the house like she had been wearing heels from day one.
This made Peter very uncomfortable, of course. :)

I'm still having a hard time getting Sadie to sleep in her bed all the way through the night. As it is, I have to lay down in her bed (which is way more comfortable than our bed) and wait for her to fall asleep. Then sometime in the wee hours of the morning this little bird appears, blankie and monkey in hand ready to take over "mama dada bed."
It's hard to lay down the law when she's standing there with a huge smile on her face waiting to snuggle up in between mommy and daddy. I hate being the enforcer.
She'll say things like "mommy ni ni too" or "mama sleepy, daddy sleepy, Sadie sleepy" while she's crawling up and into the bed.

I often worry that there isn't enough in the house to keep Sadie occupied. I always look for new toys and games to bring home to show her. One thing that never gets old for her is my crimping iron from 1985. She drags it around the house like a pet. "pink" she calls it. She lays on the floor and talks to it, wraps herself up in the cord (yeah, yeah, I'm watching her, don't worry) and tries all the time to bring it to bed with her. She'll even grab a few more of my curling irons from the cabinet, lay them out, roll around with them and talk to them for hours. If I had a video camera, and she didn't stop doing things once I tried to capture the moment, I would take a video for you to show you how funny it is.

We are trying really hard to make sure the foods Sadie eats are healthy and nutritious. We save sweets for weekends and/or special occasions. On more than one occasion, I have offered french fries to Sadie, thinking I am being the "cool" mom who lets her kid eat junk food. In one of the Hello Kitty books we have there is a picture of a pink cake.
Whenever I say "we are going to have a treat today Sadie." She says "pink happy birthday cake?"
And guess what? My kid hates french fries. Actually, I think she might hate potatoes all together, but definitely fries. She is happiest with tofu, mushrooms and broccoli.
She eats Indian food, Mexican food, Japanese food, cake and cookies, but no french fries????
I guess I shouldn't complain, but I mean REALLY!

enjoy,
xoxo
september 2009

2 comments:

j.cro said...

I love your kid and I miss you guys!! XOXO

Jen Treehugger said...

Oh she is so so adorable - all those photos are lovely. I was laughing so much at her fox in socks. Too funny. And she has good taste in music too (well Lady Gaga is just an oversight I shall ignore)
:)