Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Wha Hama?

Sadie is sleeping in a toddler bed. She climbs in and out on her own. In the morning the first couple of times she came out of her room and said "no, no, no." No idea why.

At her 18 month check yesterday the doctor said she's probably ready for potty training to really start happening. Sadie is in the 80Th percentile for height and head circumference and 10Th percentile for weight. So, essentially she is tall and thin with a big head. We have nicknamed her "lollipop chicken".

I started looking for Halloween costumes the other day (damn they are expensive). I can't decide if Sadie should be a chicken or a lollipop. A chicken on a lollipop? A chicken with a lollipop?
Maybe we'll just nix the whole thing and wait until she's old enough to ask for a costume.

August was a pretty busy month. We went to the Oakland Zoo. Sadie pet a goat and didn't' cry this time. She jumped and played all over the place. My mom was there so this meant that she really didn't want to have anything to do with me.

The weather here is still sort of weird, some days are hot and some aren't so hot. So we just continue to play on our patio with water and sidewalk chalk.
Sadie is really into "hap"-ing me clean, sweep and water the plants.
I've taught her how to take the water and scrub the chalk off the patio and to water the plants fairly well.
Usually it ends up being messier than when it started but who cares?

We also took a trip out to NYC and NJ. Lifetime played a few shows. Sadie and I went to the first show at Webster Hall. We sat in the dressing room and looked down on the stage. Sadie rocked it in her pink headphones and screamed "yay daddy, daddy, daddy!" almost the whole time Peter was on stage.
I wasn't sure about the headphones at first. We had been practicing at home with them and then during sound check she wouldn't keep them on and kept crying when the music went on. But true-to-form Sadie pulled out all the stops once the club got crowded and people started ooh-ing and aw-ing all over her.

I think Sadie really enjoyed the city. There were so many things for her to look at. Our hotel was next to Century 21. I couldn't' wait to get in there and do some shopping. When we walked through the doors there were so many people, Sadie started yelling at all of them. So I turned around and walked out.
Instead, we cruised Soho and ate some pretty tasty Japanese food for dinner.

The following day, Peter was off the entire day so we went over to visit a friend at his shop. He took Sadie on a scooter ride around the place. She really liked this and kept asking for more.
We spent almost the entire day shopping and came home with NOTHING! It was sort of unbelievable.
That night we went over to L'il Frankies Pizza in the east village. One of our most favorite places to eat. On the way over there all we could talk about what how great their pizzas and sauce are. What did we order?
Pasta of the day! Doyeeee, no sauce!
My pasta was taglioni with wild mushrooms and a huge dollop of marscapone cheese. Sadie ate half of it at least. It was so freaking good!

We came home and crashed in our big hotel bed.
The hotel had a terrific view of ground zero and Jersey City. We had so much fun looking out the window at everything.

Sunday morning we got up, packed and headed out to Penn Station. Peter went off to Philly for a show and Sadie and I took the train down to the Jersey Shore to stay with Matt and Jana.
We had so much fun, hanging out on the beach while everyone surfed. Sadie and I jumped in the water, played in the sand and squished the fish eggs that washed up on shore.
Sadie kept asking to talk to the fish in the water which made for some interesting explanations.

It was such a relaxing time, eating, drinking, hanging out. I'm still thinking about how badly I want to swim in the sauce from Vics. Seriously dude, this sauce, holy crap. We had fried raviolis with sauce, pizza with sauce (duh) and Jana had mussel moulinere with extra sauce. I'm not kidding when I say I want to bathe in it. It was THAT good.

Jana and I cooked up a bunch of stuff and of course didn't photograph most of it. But, if you're interested check out her blog. I"m sure she'll have something up there about our visit.

Of course, Sadie did many funny things while we were there. She kept saying "wha hama?" Which means "what happened?" She said this for EVERYTHING. So many times that we just started saying it too.
Sadie is slightly afraid of boys, mostly men. Which is a good and bad thing. She's kind of afraid of her daddy sometimes too, not a good thing.
When we first arrived at Matt and Jana's, there were a lot of boys around. Matt, his brother and their friend Brian. At first Sadie was scared and would hide behind me or Jana.
By the second or third day she was saying 'hi' them and then she started asking for "Matt." She even went into the tv room one night and asked him for ice cream. They sat in there eating chocolate ice cream and pretzels for quite a long time. So cute!

Flying with a toddler sucks. No matter how cool your kid is. We took a red-eye flight going out to NYC. Sadie slept, we didn't.
On the way back, Sadie and I flew in the afternoon. She whined and squirmed and kick and screamed the whole way. I was THAT mom. Humiliated and and too pooped to really do anything about it. When Sadie kicked the seat in front of us, the first few times I told her to stop. After that, anything to keep her from pulling at my shirt and swatting me in the face would have to do.
Of course, there was nothing on TV. I sort of banked on the thought that she would sleep. She usually does. Poor kid. It wasn't her fault at all. Even at home she doesn't sit still.

I suppose it could have been worse. Sadie didn't scream and cry and make a scene, she just drove me nuts. Maybe the lady in front of us too.

When we returned home, Peter and I went with some friends to Brassica Supperclub, an underground vegan dining experience. It was fantastic. The theme that night was mexican. We enjoyed every minute of it. Peter, enjoyed dessert and kept talking about it days after. He always seems to love every one's desserts except mine. It drives me nuts. At least he loves my savory cooking the most though...........
It was a really pleasant night, the whole thing lasts about 3 hours so you have time to really enjoy your food and talk with your friends and just relax. It's something we haven't done in a long time.
I look forward to the next time!

enjoy!
xoxo
august 2009

3 comments:

j.cro said...

I wish it were easier and not quite so costly to go between CA & NJ. I miss you guys! xoxo

SKATER-BABY said...

lil franks is the best!
And I agree flying with a toddler is hell no matter how short or long the trip!

Yum Yucky said...

I went to the Halloween store where the signs read, "no refunds". Then I bought a $40 costume for the kid. I regret this much. Very much.