I owe you so many pictures, I know. I am going to try to get the camera set up this weekend. IF, I can find the software and cords and all that...........
I decided to make a little treat for the folks at Peter's office and some friends of mine who are coming over this weekend for haircuts.
I love fudge, pretty much anything chocolate is my friend.
I've tried a few vegan fudge recipes and have not been so happy with them. In My Sweet Vegan there is a 5 minute fudge recipe that claims it's rich and creamy. The others I tried said that too but never lived up to the claim.
This fudge is rich and creamy and soft. I you are going to cut it into shapes you may want to either chill it for just 5 minutes (so the candy doesn't sweat) or keep your cutters very, very cold.
The original recipe is for a coconut fudge and calls for regular coconut milk, which I am sure it pretty tasty too, but 'tis the season..............
In this recipe I used lite coconut milk because that's what they sell at Trader Joe's. I turned out just fine.
I decided to do a peppermint fudge instead of coconut. I saw a pretty picture of some in the Martha Stewart Handmade Gifts magazine.
Peppermint fudge
spray and 8x8 square pan and set aside
crush into small crumbles and sift out the dust (save both the dust and chunks in separate bowls)
9 regular sized candy canes or peppermint sticks
In a bowl mix:
1c semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 1/2c confectioner's sugar
1/2 c dutch process cocoa powder
set aside
in a small sauce pan heat until small bubbles form and the butter is melted
2T Earth Balance or margarine
1/2 cup reg coconut milk (you can use light too)
pour over the chocolate mixture
let sit for 1 minute or so
add:
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Peppermint Extract
the peppermint dust
mix until completely smooth and all chocolate is melted (if you need to pop it in the microwave to reheat slightly)
pour in to prepared pan and sprinkle generously with peppermint crumbles
let cool
cut into squares
makes about 32 small squares
take out the peppermint extras add coconut, or nuts or your favorite add-ins instead!
The funny part about this recipe is that after I had come home from the store I was surfing the web and reading some blogs and what not. Low and behold there on the Go Dairy Free site there was a recipe for Peppermint Fudge, FROM THE SAME BOOK!
I laughed and then rejoiced that my own speculations about the measurements for the peppermints were right on point! How often does that happen?
enjoy!
xoxo
4 comments:
I simply LOVE Fudge and have been curious as to a good vegan Fudge recipe for ages now. Thanks for this. I love tried and tested and approved vegan recipes.
I owe my bloggers a load of photos too - Santy's getting me a new camera for christmas!!
WooHoo!
I have been a good girl (or a naughty girl who let her camera fall down the toilet!! If you want to look at it like that!!)
*shrugs*
Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.
xxxxxxxx
I read your blog about the camera. Funny how things happen like that.
My husband would say 'ooooh new camera?' To that!
Cheers and Happy Holidays!
Tomorrow is baking day for the holidays. I wish SF and NJ were a bit closer together so we could bake together.
Oh well - I'll be thinking of you when I bake - and check this out - I think I found a wf/gf flour blend to use -
http://www.gluten.net/recipes/index.php?cmd=6&recid=205
Mmmmmm. Fudge tastes really good on, say, New Year's Eve!!! Champagne really brings out the flavor!!!
Post a Comment