Finally, we have a new computer and I couldn't be happier or more excited to use it!
We still have to figure out how to hook up the camera to it so no pictures for now......
Sadie is as crazy and cute as ever. She is really turning into a little diva. She is starting to feed herself with a spoon (mostly the food goes over the side of the high chair to the floor) and has her own little bowl that she eats out of.
During lunch time she likes to feed me her lunch. Sadie also really only wants to eat what we're eating at this point, which I just think is so cool.
We've been feeding her beans lately, black, red, white, you name it. She loves them all.
In fact she loves them so much we're beginning to think they might make her a little crazy.
She gets so much energy when she eats beans we can barely contain her! Screaming, yelling, jumping around in her chair and on the floor. It's quite the scene.
Sadie has started to say "mama" in addition to her "dada" and "nana." I was starting to feel a little left out!
We baby proofed the house over the weekend. What a racket. Who ever invented some of these things to keep babies from getting hurt is one rich and brilliant person!
Some of the stuff seems to be parent-proof too maybe.
I mentioned in a previous post that I made a Mushroom Gravy from the Real Food Daily cookbook.
It was so good, we smothered it all over everything. I had a lot left over so I decided to make a cassoulet with it.
For those of you who don't know what that is, I'll tell you.
Traditionally, it's a stew made with meat and baked in a heavy pot.
I was inspired by a recipe I saw in Veganomicon. The original recipe had beans and leeks in it with biscuits baked on top.
I got creative and used what I had to create the most delicious cassoulet. The first night we ate it, Peter had 5 servings!
Now I should say something before we get down to the recipes.
Some people have made comments about how my recipes have too many steps.
Listen, I make as much as I can from scratch because I like to. It is cheaper in most instances. Use cut veggies, pre-packaged mixes if you like, you're not being graded on this and there won't be a test in the morning. I'm merely telling you how I do it. Mostly, I just want you to cook at home. It's fun, good for you and a lot less money than eating out all the time, okay?
MUSHROOM GRAVY
from Real Food Daily
makes 8 cups
You will need:
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 oz dried porcini (or any variety of dried mushroom)
1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1LB white button mushrooms, washed and coarsely chopped
4 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
2 large onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
5 cups unsweetened plain soy milk
1/2 cup tamari (or soy sauce if you don't have tamari)
a large saucepan
a strainer,
cheesecloth or coffee filter
a small sauce pan
some bowls for mixing
bring the water to simmer in a small sauce pan.
add the dried mushrooms, cover and let sit for 20 minutes.
strain out the mushrooms when ready, reserve the liquid.
using a coffee filter or cheesecloth, strain the sediment from the liquid.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and the mushroom liquid, set aside
Heat the olive oil in the large saucepan on medium-high heat.
add the button and shiitake mushrooms.
Saute until golden brown and tender (about 18 minutes)
add the onions and garlic, saute until the onions are tender and translucent
stir in the dried mushrooms, herbs and salt.
add the soy milk and tamari.
Cover the pot and bring to a simmer over high heat.
continue to simmer untl the sauce thickens, stir constantly. (about 3 minutes or so)
serve warm over EVERYTHING!!!!!!
The great thing about this cassoulet, is that you really can use anything you want. It's a stew, stews have everything in them. The french might not agree with me..........
Sometimes, I have produce I need to use. Making a stew is usually the best and most delicious way to do it.
Throw in some extra veggies or greens, it only makes it better and better for you!
Depending on how much you put in there, you'll have to adjust the liquid measurements.
However, you want the stew to be thick so add the extra liquid slowly.
BEAN AND VEGGIE CASSOULET WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY AND BISCUITS
Adapted from Veganomicon
serves 6
You will need:
2 Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
3 cups vegetable broth (this measurement varies due to the amount of gravy you might have left)
2-4 cups Mushroom gravy (it really depends on how much you have left or want to use)
*you can skip the gravy part all together and just use everything else too.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 leeks, washed and sliced thinly
1 small onion, medium dice
1 1/2 cups carrots, peeled and diced small
1 bunch of dark leafy greens, such as collard, kale, etc.
1 cup broccoli or cauliflower or both, chopped
1 Tablespoon, thyme
salt and pepper to taste
2+ cans beans, drained and rinsed (kidney, cannelini, those kinds work best)use as many as you like!
a large casserole dish
oil spray to keep from sticking
1 recipe biscuits (see below)
BISCUITS:
You will need:
3/4 cup plain soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups all- purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup non hydrogenated shortening
a large bowl
your hands
a fork
In a small bowl whisk together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar, set aside to curdle
MAKE THE STEW
mix the cornstarch into the vegetable broth until dissolved (whisking works best)
In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat
saute the leeks and onion until tender
add the garlic and saute until fragrant
toss the potatoes, other veggies, greens and seasonings.
Toss to coat
once the greens have started to wilt add your liquids and the beans
bring to a boil
cover and simmer for about 20-30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and it has thickened.
stir occasionally
MEANWHILE WHILE THAT'S COOKING
heat your oven to 425*F
FINISH THE BISCUITS
In a large bowl stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder
add the shortening in a little pieces
gently work the shortening into the flour with your fingers (use a fork if you like) until large crumbs form
drizzle in the soy milk mixture
mix with a fork until everything is moist
with clean hands, flour them and knead the dough until it holds together
if it's really sticky, add a little more flour
set aside
ASSEMBLY:
once the stew is ready
spray you pan
pour the stew into casserole dish (it's okay if it touches the top, it won't overflow, trust me)
pull off pieces of the biscuit dough, around golf ball size or so
gently roll them into a ball shape and flatten slightly
place on top of the stew
bake about 15 minutes or until the biscuits are firm to the touch and slightly browned.
serve warm
You can make the stew a day ahead and keep it in the fridge too. Just warm it in the oven before putting the biscuits on top.
enjoy!
xoxo
1 comment:
Mmmmm that Cassoulet sounds wonderful and just the sort of meal I wanna eat in this cold weather.
Good to see you back and I'm glad the move went well.
xx
Post a Comment