Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The deliciousness that is: Thai Joe's Prig Khing Green Beans

My friend Gary introduced us to Thai Joe's Prig Khing Green Beans.
Sometimes, I just don't feel like making everything from scratch.
These beans are so good I can't even stand it. The first time we made them, we ate the entire bag over the stove without even thinking to sit down like civilized human beings.
The second time I made them, I added some baked tofu and peanuts to the mix.
Photobucket
The bag claims there's 5 servings in there. If you serve it as a side dish maybe. If it is served as a main dish, about 2 good sized and 3 small portions.
Now, these beans are not vegan, or even vegetarian, they have shrimp paste and dried shrimp in them. They are spicy and garlicky with tamarind, soy sauce and chiles.
There's only 2 grams of fat per serving, and 70 calories.
They can be found in the frozen section at Trader Joe's.

Photobucket
PRIG KHING GREEN BEANS WITH BAKED TOFU AND PEANUTS
You will need:
1 package extra firm tofu, drained, pressed and cut into small cubes
1-2 Tablespoons peanut oil
1 cup Panko (or more if you're feeling frisky)
a handful of toasted, unsalted peanuts, chopped
a baking sheet
foil

Heat your oven to 350*F
Line a baking sheet with foil
drizzle the peanut oil over the foil
toss the tofu in the oil, making sure it is coated allover
spread half of the panko over the tofu and toss around to coat
spread the remaining half of panko over the tofu and toss around again
* if you really want the tofu covered heavily in panko, you're going to have to dredge them in oil and then in the panko.
I don't because it is a little healthier this way
bake 20 minutes
with a wooden spoon or strong spatula, stir the tofu around and place back in the oven
bake for another 20 minutes or until slightly crispy.

chop your peanuts and set aside
follow the instructions on the package of green beans
add the tofu and most of the peanuts (save some for garnish) at the end just before adding the sauce.

serve over rice or alone.
enjoy!
xoxo

4 comments:

Alison said...

Jim and I overdosed on these that we can longer buy them..although the addition of the tofu and peanuts might just sway me otherwise. We're hitting the TJ's in Westfield this weekend after a long hiatus.

STEPHANIE said...

Oh how I miss those Westfield field trips.
We always went to TJs and then to Bouvellas for some spritz cookies.
So good!

j.cro said...

I just went to TJs in Brooklyn the other day. It's brand-spankin' new and I had to force myself to leave so I wouldn't be late for work.
I wish we'd get one closer than Westfield in the Jerze. It's just not FAIR!!!
WAAAAAH

Alison said...

There is supposed to be one being built in Red Bank...not sure if it's still going down or not, but it would be AWESOME.