dinner.
Usually at night I am able to start dinner and then Sadie cries and
Peter has to finish making it. Or she cries just as we sit down to eat so
I don't really get to eat at all.
Yesterday she was a perfect angel all day and well into the evening so
I was able to make something tasty for us.
I forgot to take a picture of this delicious dish. When faced with the
choice of eating before Sadie cries or taking a picture, I decided to
eat. Had I known she wasn't going to cry, I would have taken that
picture it looked that good. Oh well.
The original recipe calls for chicken broth and heavy cream. If you're
feeling decadent, go for it. Otherwise the vegetable broth and soy milk
I used was perfect. We also didn't have any Marsala wine on hand so I
skipped it. I think everything tasted great and Peter ate every bite
while saying how good it was. The wine only enhances the mushrooms, so
use it when you can.
Also, when you have a chance, read this article.
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/08/13/070813fa_fact_mueller?printable=true
SPINACH AND MUSHROOM RAGU
Serves 6
You will need:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil.
1 large onion, chopped (I use yellow or sweet)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound mixed mushrooms (cremini, oyster and shiitake) or just cremini,
chopped
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup Marsala wine
2 cups vegetable broth
1/3 cup soy creamer or soy milk
5 fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup flat leaf Italian parsley, for garnish
1/2-3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
In a large skillet heat oil over medium-low heat.
When hot add onions and saute until translucent and just about to
caramelize.
Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute +/-)
Add the mushrooms, season with some salt and pepper.
Cook until all the liquid from the shrooms has evaporated and they are
tender.
Remove pan from heat, add the wine.
Continue to cook (on the stove) until the wine has evaporated. (3 min
+/-)
Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil and simmer for 15mins.
Add the spinach and continue to simmer for 15min more, stirring
occasionally until sauce has reduced by half.
Add the cream/soy milk and mix well.
Mix in the basil, parsley and cheese.
Serve over pasta or enjoy as a side dish with some bread.
Enjoy!
Xoxoxo
1 comment:
I made the banana pudding today for a bday party...I thought of you. I also had a weird dream this morning that we were eating (or about to) amazing pizza in Brooklyn! Hope all is well!
Post a Comment