Friday, October 5, 2007

2 weeks to go!

Well, things are winding down here in Jersey City. Packing is so boring but we are really getting excited about moving.
Of course now that we are moving, I have made friends with all the people who sit on their stoops and drink 40s all day. I suppose that's not really something you should boast about, but I realize they started to be nice and take notice of me once my belly got big.
After all, they do know about having babies. :)
Just as I was rejoicing over the fact that it was starting to cool off it got hot again. 83 degrees to be exact. UGH!!!!!
Anyhow, I have made some delicious food lately.
Lentil soup, Chicken and Waffles and Salmon.
Not all at once but I am lazy and I will be posting the recipes all at once.
LENTIL SOUP
This soup is great. It tastes best with a nice crusty loaf of bread. It's vegan if you leave out the Parmesan cheese and just use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
You can also add any extra veggies, meats or beans you like.
It freezes well too. Basically, any tomato based soup or sauce is alright in my book.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
LENTIL SOUP
Makes about 6 servings as a meal
You will need:
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium onion (I prefer white or sweet yellow but you can use red if you like)
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 stalks of celery, cut lengthwise and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large can of diced tomatoes (I use Pomi chopped or diced, one box)
2 pounds of lentils
11 cups of vegetable or chicken broth or a mixture of both (usually, this equals about 3 boxes or so)
4-6 fresh thyme sprigs
2/3 cup dried elbow pasta
1 cup shredded Parmesan
salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large sauce pot
Add celery, onion, carrot and garlic toss to coat
saute until onion is translucent and carrots are tender
add the tomatoes with their juices and the lentils, toss to coat
add broth and thyme
bring to boil cover and simmer for 30 mins
add the pasta and simmer until tender (usually about 8 mins or so)
season with salt and pepper
remove the thyme sprigs
serve with Parmesan on top

CHICKEN AND WAFFLES
Now I know you're thinking "nice pregnancy craving Stephanie" but this is not a craving. Chicken and Waffles is actually a dish, a southern dish. I was first introduced to Chicken and Waffles at Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles in LA when I was visiting my friend Sue years ago.
It was also my first time eating collard greens and grits. The whole thing was brilliant, sweet and salty and good.
I was sad to learn that the Roscoe's in the Bay Area had closed down a year before that, where was I going to get my chicken and waffles fix?
Luckily, Peter and I discovered that they served Chicken and Waffles at the Merritt Bakery in Oakland, just walking distance from our apartment.
Not only did they have chicken and waffles but if you go there on Sundays you can see everyone dressed in their best and brightest enjoying a meal after church.
I decided to make the dish at home, fried chicken is fattening and I am sure the greens and other side dishes aren't too healthy either, besides cooking is fun.
I found a recipe in Joy of Cooking for Corn Flake Crusted Oven Baked chicken that sounded delicious and was much healthier.
Using boneless and skinless chicken, egg substitute, soy milk and vegan butter makes this recipe not only taste excellent, but it is lower in fat and much healthier all around.
You can prepare the chicken up to 3 hours before you plan to bake it.
You can buy a package of collard greens at Trader Joe's and just follow the directions on the back. Their cornbread mix is pretty alright too.
Now if you're feeling really special, make your waffles from scratch, otherwise L'eggo my E'ggo.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
CHICKEN AND WAFFLES
Serves 4
Corn Flake Crusted Oven Fried Chicken
You will need:
31/2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken (you can use, breast halves,tenders, fillets, etc)
Salt , Pepper
The equivalent to 2 large eggs of egg substitute
¼ cup vanilla soy milk
2 ½ cups crushed corn flakes
2-3 tablespoons melted soy butter
Cooking Spray for the bottom of the dish
*if you like, add some spiciness to the chicken and dash a bit of cayenne in there.

Preheat to 350*F and spray a baking dish or sheet with a rim.
Rinse and pat dry the chicken add salt and pepper to taste
In a shallow bowl whisk together the eggs and soy milk
In another bowl, making sure to use a wide, shallow one mix corn flakes and some salt and pepper
Dip the chicken into the egg batter and then the cornflake mixture.
Pat the chicken with your hands to ensure the cornflakes stick.
Place on baking sheet and drizzle with melted butter
Bake 45-60minutes until the chicken is golden and crispy.
Serve immediately
This recipe is great for salads and sandwiches too.
We had leftovers and the next day Peter had a sandwich with BBQ sauce and I made a southwestern salad with beans and corn and other goodies.
Toast your waffles according to directions, drizzle with syrup and serve alongside the chicken.Make sure to take a bite of each at the same time. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
SALMON WITH CHILI RUB
I'm not a big salmon fan. It always tastes funny to me. Peter loves fish and I have been reading about the benefits of omega-3 when you're pregnant so I decided to give it a try.
This recipe turned out great. I still had to smother the fish in my mashed potatoes but at least I ate it without complaining.
Peter told me I could make it anytime so I guess it was a hit.
The original recipe made 5-6 servings
You will have leftover spice rub that can stored and used later
You will need:
1/4 cup paprika
1Tablespoon ground chipotle pepper
1 Tablespoon ground ancho chile powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
Heat in a small non stick skillet for 2 mins stirring constantly
Remove from heat and rub over the flesh side of the fish
drizzle with olive oil before grilling
grill each side 5-6 mins serve skin side up
garnish with lime wedges

3 comments:

j.cro said...

I love that recipe for the corn-flake oven fried chicken. I've made it a few times, once with honey flavored corn flakes (gluten free, I might add!!!) It's DELISH!!!

Scott Dubya said...

We recentlyran out of bread crumbs and the only non-dairy product they had at Safeway was Kellog's Corn Flake Bread Crumbs. They taste fine, but it probably would have been cheaper and better to just buy a box of corn flakes. Duh.

STEPHANIE said...

plus it's so much fun to smash 'em up!