I never order pancakes in a restaurant unless it's under special circumstances.
For instance, when eating at La Note in Berkeley, you must eat the creme fraiche pancakes. They come with 2 delicious pancakes, Provencal tomatoes, potatoes and scrambled eggs with caramelized onions. Top that off with a latte and some good conversation and the rest of your day will be brilliant.
Or like the other day when Jana and I ate at L'Bonbonneire, we shared a stack of banana pancakes an omelet and some of their most delicious french fries.
There are a million other places I could think of that have great pancakes, however, there's something about making them at home on my own griddle that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
The other day, I was in the mood for pancakes. Having a limited supply of ingredients on hand, I turned to my bible, The Joy of cooking to see what I could find.
I found a brilliant recipe for Cornmeal pancakes that I added some of my usual spice tricks to.
They turned out thin and crispy around the edge with a little spicy kick to them.
Both Peter and I enjoyed them very much.

SPICY CORNMEAL PANCAKES
makes about 16 pancakes
You will need:
1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (I only had cake flour and they came out just fine)
1 3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 2/3 cups milk (I used vanilla rice milk)
4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted (I used soy butter)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 large eggs (egg beaters)
3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
1/2 tsp. Tabasco
1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper
1/4 tsp ancho chile powder
dash black pepper
Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, chipotle, ancho and black pepper
*this will remove any clumps and blend all the dry ingredients together
In a separate bowl
Whisk together the milk, butter, maple syrup, eggs and Tabasco
Make a little well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet into the well
Whisk together until just blended and no flour clumps appear
*the batter will be very thin
add the corn and stir to combine
Spoon 1/4 cup of the batter onto a greased griddle, or pan
The batter is thin and runny so allow for spreading when dropping another one down
Cook until the top of the pancake has bubbled and begins to pop, the edges should brown slightly
Flip and cook through
Serve with maple syrup or honey
Enjoy!!
xoxoxo
3 comments:
Mmm. I am thinking that cutting back on the maple syrup and topping those with sour cream and avocado would be tasty.
I can't wait to make these!!
I think you could keep the syrup and still serve it with avocado and sour cream.
As I was eating them I was thinking the same thing.
They really aren't that sweet unless you add more syrup or honey on top of them.
Post a Comment