Friday, July 13, 2007

It's not you it's me.

Many years ago, in my early college-slacker days I worked here:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Famous for their burgers and disgustingly sweet mixed drinks, Red Robin has a huge menu with all kinds of burgers from beef to chicken to turkey to a strangely delicious microwaved meatless burger. I've tried almost every item on the menu at one point or another. My favorite burger is the teriyaki chicken burger with cheddar cheese.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I order it every time I go there. They offer bottomless french fry refills, which is great when you are the paying customer but when you are the busy waitress and your table only orders a coke and a basket of fries between 5 people it's sort of annoying.
I started out as a food server at good old RR. I was so excited because for some reason, I had always wanted to wait tables. I made good money too. In those days shopping at Salvation Army and other used clothing stores was the thing to do, so I was swimming in it. Plus, I was living at home so I didn't have a lot of bills.
After working the floor for a while I was asked if I wanted to take on another responsibility. The coveted position of Red Robin Mascot.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
That's not really me in the photo, but that's what I looked like.
I got to roam the mall, dance on the bar and goof off all day in that stinky hot costume. It was all fun and games until this one day I was cruising around the restaurant minding my own business when a table full of drunk stock brokers starts giving me a hard time. I should tell you first, the RR bird's hands only have 3 fingers. This means you put your thumb in the first pocket, your first and middle in the second and your ring and pinkie in the third. So while this one guy was trying to mess with me I held up my first finger to stop him. The only problem was that my actual first finger was in the bird's middle finger pocket. That was my last day as the Red Robin bird.
When Peter and I first started dating I introduced him to Red Robin and our mutual appreciation for the place blossomed. We were sort of sad to leave it behind when we moved to NJ. Except that we noticed one day on Rt 3 there's a Red Robin in a hotel. It's the only one in NJ. Every time we have to go to Home Depot or Michael's we stop off and hit up the Robin.
Last night was no different.
My mouth was watering the entire drive over there. I figured now that I am pregnant, I can eat without guilt. I even ordered a basket of fries to snack on while we waited for our burgers. MMMMM, pineapple, cheese, chicken!
Let me just say, I never thought this would ever happen, but being pregnant has changed everything. Nothing tastes good and I'm starving all the freaking time.Sugar grosses me out, and for those of you who know me, that's major.
Why can't this happen when I am trying to lose weight, not gain it????
Seriously, I mean really!
My beloved teriyaki chicken burger tasted like doody. Every time I looked at it, my stomach turned a little. I left there filled to the brim with fried potatoes and no cheddar cheese, pineapple chicken love at all.
I guess this only makes it easier for Peter and I to save money.
So, once again, no recipes for you today only a story and some silly pictures. Sorry.
xoxo

5 comments:

j.cro said...

Aside from Peter making you throw away the spicy brownies, that's one of the saddest stories I've ever seen you write.

NO SUGAR?!?!

How are we going to bake vegan cupcakes?

This is a travesty!

j.cro said...

of EPIC proportions!

STEPHANIE said...

well, I'll still bake them with you, I just might not eat them.
There's still cupcakes in the fridge. Peter's been eating them, which is highly unusual.

Anonymous said...

dude. those spicy brownies SUCKED.

Alison said...

Jim and I always see that Red Robin place (on Rt 3?) since his parents live up that way, and who knew it was good? We'll have to check it out..bottomless fries? *Swoon* I'd always kinda wondered what that place was all about...I've also never had a Fatburger and I remember that they were supposed to open one in Jersey City. Good thing I have burgers on the brain b/c we're going to a BBQ today! rah!