At HYC we make these coconut rocher cookies. They are similar to macaroons, but better.
I like coconut macaroons, but for some reason when I eat them I always feel like they could be better or something is missing.
After eating one (okay maybe two or three, or well, ugh, six) of these rochers, I was hooked. They're crisp and coconutty and so easy to make!
I have to warn you, this recipe was originally written in grams and scaled for a super dooper, catering sized batch so if you try it and doesn't work, please, please let me know so I can work it out again. I tried it after I scaled it down and it seemed fine, but you never know.

Coconut Rochers
You will need:
4 egg whites
7 oz sugar
4 1/2 oz. desiccated coconut, unsweetened (if you can only find shredded, chop it up and DO NOT use sweetened)
1 tsp. salt
Baking sheet
ice cream scooper
double boiler (large pot and bowl)
a whisk and a spatula
In a large pot, fill 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil
place egg whites and sugar in a large metal bowl
place the bowl on top of the pot (double boiler)

whisk the egg whites and sugar until the sugar has dissolved (it will be very fluid and you won't see the sugar anymore)

add the coconut and salt
stir to combine (mixture will be wet)

stirring occasionally, until mixture has dried up (it should look like paste-a little moisture, but mostly coconut)

this should take about 40minutes to 1 hour
be sure to check your water level so as not to burn out your pot
remove from heat, cover and let cool
Preheat your oven to 325*F
scoop rochers onto a sheet pan

bake until golden brown
cool and eat 'em up!
1 comment:
Yum...Jim and my brother loves coconut- I might have to make these for them soon!
Post a Comment