Monday, April 9, 2007

Breaking down

Peter and I (well, mostly just me) are still on our no wheat, no dairy, no sugar diet but I'm starting to slip a little.
Lately I have been thinking about cupcakes, A LOT. There's a little organic store near our apartment that makes a tasty chocolate cupcake with white chocolate ganache frosting that I love and Billy's vanilla/vanilla cupcakes are pretty darn tasty too.
With our diet, we can't eat those. The hard part is the flour and the sugar. I've been reading up on the different flour alternatives out there (and there are quite a few). But I'm not rich and I can't just run out and buy all of the ingredients I need every time when I have perfectly good ingredients on my shelf already. I think I have purchased a new jar of honey every Monday since we started this diet!
I've also been doing a lot of research on the web to find ideas and recipes that work with our diet. I have found that a lot of vegan recipes work. They offer alternatives to dairy and sugar and sometimes the no wheat thing.
Let me stop there for a minute and say this.
I/we have no intention of becoming vegan (sorry). Meat and fish are just too good. However, if I can find alternatives to dairy, sugar, and wheat, I will. If I can find a healthier way to eat, I will. If I can help my friends and family do the same, I will. If I can support local and organic growers, I will.
I have noticed a difference since we started the diet. I feel like my body is processing what I eat a little bit easier. I think I am going to give up dairy pretty much permanently if I can stand it. I've always had a problem with it but just love cheese so much! After cutting out sugar on a daily basis, I lost 2 pounds. The wheat thing is a hard one. Everything has wheat in it. I do notice that when I eat something with wheat in it, my elbows itch and I get a stuffy nose. Maybe it's just coincidence, who knows.
I've decided that when at home I will be as strict as I can with my diet and when I am out I can indulge a little if I like. A girl's got to have a little fun, right? Besides, I work in a kitchen where health is not even a minor concern in terms of ingredients. I have to taste my products or else how will I know if they are good?
Okay, now that I have gotten that off my chest and totally gotten off track.................

Since yesterday was Easter, I decided that a little unbleached All-purpose flour and some powdered sugar wouldn't kill us. As I use my inventory and I can replenish with other things anyway. I needed a cupcake or two or three.

A number of years ago, some friends of mine gave me a Vegan cookbook ("How It All Vegan" by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer) as a gift. It took me a while to warm up the book as I had no intention of ever becoming vegan and a lot of the ingredients in the book I either didn't have or didn't know what they were.
As the years went by and I started to become more interested in cooking and eating better I worked my way through the book and then bought the second book ("The Garden of Vegan")that went with it. They have a website too www.govegan.net if you're really interested.
I find that the recipes are a little vague sometimes. But with a little creativity and some quick thinking, it all works out in the end. I think being a professional can be good and bad sometimes when trying to read a recipe. These book have been a good starting place for me as far as vegan cooking goes.
Yesterday I made chocolate cupcakes with vanilla and chocolate icing. The first time I made these cupcakes, I hated them, they were rubbery and the icing had a terrible after taste.
This time, after a few adjustments they were just as good as any cupcake, but they were mine so they were the best, of course.
Those cupcakes came out so good that Peter even said he would bring them to practice on Thurs if they still tasted okay. He never says that about anything.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Chocolate cupcakes with Vanilla and Chocolate "Buttercream" Icing.
Makes about 12 large cupcakes or 24 +/- small cupcakes
You will need:
For the cupcakes:
1 cup molasses (I used 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 cup maple sugar because I was out of molasses)
1 cup soy milk
2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips (about a 16oz. bag)
6 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups flour (I used unbleached All Purpose, next time I'll have to change that)
1 tsp. baking soda
large or small muffin pans
cupcake liners (I didn't use them and just sprayed the pan well)
medium ice cream scoop (to measure the batter evenly)

For the icings:
3/4 cup margarine (I used Earth Balance)
2-4 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp soy milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
for chocolate icing add:
1/4 cup cocoa powder (or to taste)

Make the cupcakes
Preheat your oven to 375*F
In a small saucepan on medium/low heat mix together molasses (honey and maple syrup), 1/2 cup of the milk and the chocolate chips.
Once the chocolate has melted add oil and cornstarch, whisk well to prevent the cornstarch from getting lumpy.
Once well combined, remove from heat, add vanilla and set aside
Sift the flour and baking soda into a medium bowl
Add the remaining soy milk and chocolate mixture, mix well
(use either a hand mixer or stand mixer to prevent lumps and ensure even mixing, but don't over mix)
Using an ice cream scoop for even distribution, scoop batter into muffin pan
(the batter should never be more that 2/3 of the way full)
Bake for about 15-20 minutes
(until the top springs back when touched)
Let cool and frost

While the cupcakes are in the oven make your frosting
If you are making both chocolate and vanilla icings you will need to make this recipe twice.
Cream the margarine and 2 cups of powdered sugar together until light and fluffy
Add the milk and vanilla and mix well.
Add more powdered sugar until you get a spreadable consistency
(if you are making chocolate add the cocoa powder, be sure to taste it to make sure you like the flavor and then the extra powdered sugar)
Place the icing in the fridge until firm

When I frosted my cupcakes, I let the icing come to room temp. It was more like a thick glaze. Later, I tried it right from the fridge and it was more of a firm frosting that could be piped from a bag if you so desire.
Be sure that your cupcakes are completely cool before frosting them.
enjoy!

8 comments:

j.cro said...

I found a T-shirt for you...

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/
challah/-/pv_design_prod/
p_storeid.47404934/
pNo_47404934/id_11086019/
opt_/pg_/c_/fpt_

I want wheat-free, sugar-free, allergen-free goodies all the time too. There's Babycake Bakery in the city. Check out their website for more info... http://www.babycakesnyc.com/

STEPHANIE said...

I have seen Baby Cakes. I haven't been there though.
If I was smart I would be able to figure out which shirt you are talking about, but it shows all of them, sooooooo.......which one is it???
doyeeeeeeeeeee

j.cro said...

It says Pastry Chefs make you Challah.
AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAH

j.cro said...

Also, word on the street is for some vegan baking... Veganaise - the vegan mayonaise, is a key and also silken tofu. I can hook you up with the person that let me onto this little secret.
ssssssssssh. You can probably meet her on the 19th at Maxwell's.

STEPHANIE said...

I didn't even see that shirt!
Me likes.
I know about nayonaise and silken tofu, but not veganaise.
I'll talk to your friend on the 19th. :)

STEPHANIE said...

I don't know, I'm thinking that "challah back, cuz I no u no me" is pretty funny
so is "jews for cheeses"

There's just so many!

Scott Dubya said...

Dude, you don't want to go vegan. Those people are crazy.

j.cro said...

jews for cheeses!
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
i LOVE that!!!!