Thursday, April 5, 2007

chocolate chunk cookies and a really off day

I am having a really off day in the kitchen today. I had planned to make some poppy seed dinner rolls and split pea soup. I burned the soup so bad that I had to throw it out and soak the pot for 4 hours! Then the recipe I used for the dinner rolls turned out to be weird and my dough was as solid as a rock.
I decided to make chocolate chunk cookies with my leftover chocolate bars. Easy enough, but no. I over creamed the butter so they came out completely flat and to top it off I over baked them.
Then later as I was getting ready to type out the recipe I realized that I put two sticks of butter in when the recipe only called for 1 1/3. DING DONG! So maybe that explains why I thought I had over creamed the butter.
Whatever.
This recipe is really great and the cookies tasted fine even after over creaming and over baking.
Maybe you'll have better luck.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Makes about 2-3 dozen

You will need:
1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour (I love King Arthur's)
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup (1 1/3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or 1 tsp. vanilla extract)
3/4 cup semi-sweet or bitter sweet chocolate, chopped and sifted (to remove dust)
an ice cream scoop (to scoop the cookies evenly)
baking sheets
parchment paper or silpat if you've got it

Preheat your oven to 350*F
In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda and salt, mix to combine and set aside
Cream together the butter and both sugars until fluffy
(it's done when you feel the butter and you can't feel the sugar with your fingers 3-5mins +/-)
Scrape your bowl with a spatula to make sure nothing is sticking on the bottom
Add the egg and vanilla, cream until egg disappears
Scrape your bowl again
Add the flour and mix until combined
Add the chocolate chunks and mix until combined
Scoop cookies onto an ungreased cookie sheet
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Bake 10-12 minutes
(ideally until edges are golden brown and the center is slightly lighter)
Let cookies cool about 1-2 minutes then transfer them to a cooling rack.
I hope it works out for you better than it did for me!

1 comment:

Alison said...

Now I know why my choco chippers come out flat sometimes..I'm over-creaming that shit! Damn!