I do have some other tricks up my sleeve so don't you worry I'll still be able to post recipes!
For now, I'm just gonna talk about chocolate again.
I was able to collect a few bars to taste and compare. I made Peter join in the party which was fun.
We tried 6 bars of chocolate (well only a bite from each). I got all of them at Trader Joe's except for Green and Blacks which I purchased at the health store across from our house.
Trader Joe's in Westfield sometimes carries good chocolate brands at excellent prices. I'm not sure if that's because they are old or what, but I don't care.
Unfortunately, I write down exactly what I paid for each bar so that I could tell you the bargain but I think I can remember the approximate amount.
What I thought was really cool about this tasting, was that both Peter and I responded almost the same to each bar. I don't know if that has something to do with the fact that we are married or if that's just the way it is. It would have been more interesting to do the test with more people to see if their answers were the same too.
(these are in no particular order other than by % of cacao)
#1 Green and Blacks Organic 70% bittersweet chocolate

Size: 3.5 oz bar ($2.50?)
Calories: 220 calories per serving (2.5 servings)
Description: no flavor profile other than melting beautifully and cleanly in the mouth
The back of the wrapper says it is safe for vegetarians and vegans but then in another area says that it has been manufactured in a plant that handles tree nuts, wheat and milk ingredients, so...............................
What we said: Feels waxy in the hand but has a firm dense snap. Creamy mouth feel that melts smoothly with no residue. Acidic, bitter and earthy flavor.
#2 Valrhona 71% bittersweet Chocolate

Size: 3.5 oz ($3.00 at TJ's, but usually $5-$6 elsewhere??)
Calories: 240 calories per serving (2.5 servings)
Description: Made from trinitario and criollo beans. Rich flavors and redwood colors. Fruity and floral taste and an exceptional long-lasting finish
What we said: Nice snap, creamy mouth feel. Very acidic when you melt it in your mouth but if you just chew it, it is more bitter and tastes like coffee.
#3 and #4 Chocovic Unique Origins Ocumare and Guaranda 71% bittersweet chocolate

Size:2.82oz. ($1.79 at TJ's)
Calories: 50 calories per serving (8 servings)
Description: Ocumare - Criolloa cocoa from Venezuela. Mild aroma with tones of exotic wood, dried fruit and spicy notes. Delicate, persistent flavour well proportioned and full. Tones of cedar, tobacco, and raisins.
Guaranda- Forastero Arriba cocoa from Ecuador. Aroma perfumed with acid fruity notes and floral notes of acacia, with dairy and exotic wood tones. Mildly bitter taste with candied citrus and floral tones with a honey character.
What we said: They both tasted cheap (because we're snobs now :)) Each one was firm but brittle in snap. The Ocumare tasted like bark with a grainy mouth feel. It had a nice finish though. The Guaranda melted well in the mouth, it was quite creamy and mild in taste compared to the rest of the bars.
#5 Scharffen Berger 60% cacao semi-sweet chocolate

Size: 2oz. (serving size 1 bar)
Calories: 320 per bar(I don't remember the price on this one at all)
No flavor description
What we said: Peter " ew I don't like this one at all, period. It's tart, bitter and tastes wrong." Steph-"very dry, not semi-sweet at all, this bar might be old."
#6 Valrhona %56 cacao semi-sweet chocolate

Size: 3.5oz. (same price as the bittersweet)
Calories: 230 (2.5 servings)
Description: Fragrant cocoa beans from Caribbean and Indian Ocean plantations. Delicious cocoa taste with a touch of acidity.
What we said: This bar was by far our favorite as far as taste. It didn't melt all that easily in the mouth but had a nice mellow flavor that was smooth and sweet.
After tasting these bars, I have decided that I like each one for different reasons. I tend to go for Valrhona, when baking, I guess it's a pastry chef thing. I think though, that when looking for a bar to eat, there are so many to choose from, again, it's like choosing wine.
I've decided to chop up all the bars and make some chocolate chip cookies. I'll let you know how they turn out!
see ya!
2 comments:
My new addiction is "window" shopping on etsy.com (karen hates me for introducing it to her)...anyway, look at this necklace, it screams Steph!
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5697945
and dude...chocolate tasting party? Oh hell yeah!
um yeah, so my birthday is in June (hint hint).
Post a Comment