Monday, April 2, 2007

Frostings for Alison

Alison asked me about some frosting for cupcakes that she is making. So I did a little research and here's what I've got.
I say choose the one that sounds best to you. They are all great.
When adding coloring, add the color in the beginning and make it slightly darker than you want so that when you add the rest of the ingredients, it will won't be too light. I usually use liquid colorings because I have found the gel colors to be really unreliable.
Also, if you find that your frosting is too liquid, add more powdered sugar, if it's too thick loosen it with milk or cream.
Good luck!
Oh and I also included two frostings from Sprinkles cupcakes I scored off the Internet.

White Chocolate Ganache Frosting
4 1/2 ounces white chocolate. finely chopped
1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 ounces (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
Pinch of salt
Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler. Stir until smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
Sift the confectioners' sugar into a medium bowl. Stir in the milk and vanilla. Add the butter and salt and beat until smooth. Stir in the cooled white chocolate. Refrigerate until firm enough to frost the cupcakes, about 30 minutes.

Swiss White Chocolate Ganache Frosting
1 pound white chocolate - chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
2 Tablespoons butter, softened
2 Tablespoons Champagne
Bring the cream to a boil and pour over the chocolate
Mix in the butter and champagne
Let cool and frost – this will be a fudge consistency you can beat it until it lightens up if you like

Simple Vanilla Buttercream (Billy's Bakery style)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
6-8 cups confectioner’s sugar
½ cup milk (cold)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter until smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. With mixer on low speed, add 6 cups sugar, milk, and vanilla; mix until light and fluffy. If necessary, gradually add remaining 2 cups sugar to reach desired consistency.

French Vanilla Buttercream
2oz. Sugar
½ oz. Water
1 ½ oz. egg yolks
8 oz. butter, softened
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
whip yolks to ribbon stage
(when you lift your whisk out of the bowl the yolks should fall down like a ribbon, flat and on top of itself)
cook sugar and water to thread stage (230*F)
(place the sugar and water in a pot and use your finger to mix it together, make sure there isn't any sugar around the sides. If you need to dip your fingers in a little water to remove the sugar around the edge. Most importantly do not touch the pot until it has come to a boil -this will cause your sugar to crystallize)
pour into yolks, whip until cool to touch
add butter – drizzle in flavorings
*if too soft = place ice bowl under to chill while whipping
*too thick = heat bowl while whipping

Sprinkles Dark Chocolate Icing
INGREDIENTS
10 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped (they use Callebaut brand)
1 lb. unsalted butter, at room temp
1 lb. 8 oz. powdered sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
Melt and cool chocolate (until just slightly warm).
Beat butter until light and fluffy.
With mixer on low speed, gradually add powdered sugar.
Add salt, vanilla and sour cream and mix until very smooth.
Add chocolate and mix until just incorporated.
*Don't over-whip and add too much air into the frosting.
The consistency should be rich and dense, like ice cream!

Sprinkles Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese
4 oz butter
3 3/4 c. confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/2 tea. Vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt
Cream the butter, cheese and salt in a stand mixer until light and fluffy.
Gradually add the sugar until incorporated, and then add the vanilla.

3 comments:

girlbots said...

you have no idea how bad i am fiending for a cupcake now! unfortunately(well, fortunately for my waistline) there are no stellar bakeries close enough to impulse binge at. next time i see you... BRING CONFECTIONS!

j.cro said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm butter creme frosting!!!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm chocolate.

Alison said...

yay! Thanks so much- now I just have to figure out which one I'm going to use. I wish I could just make my usual chocolate ganache frosting but I have to go the colored route! Dammit.