It's been raining like crazy here. Every time I look out the window and see the rain and dark skies I flash back to last year when I went into labor and this same storm that is over us now was over us then. I get a little choked up when I think that I have been basically blogging her progress for a year give or take a few weeks here and there.
When Sadie was about 2 weeks old, Octavio came to visit us. We ate pizza from Zachary's and I hadn't quite figured out the whole breastfeeding thing so I was hiding under a blanket trying not to flash Roc while feeding Sadie. It was really funny.
He asked me if I was going to keep a journal of Sadie's first year. At the time I laughed and thought that was a ridiculous idea. I was tired and could barely sit down without wincing. Nicole Richie had just given an interview about how she was keeping a daily journal on her daughter with 40 names, it just seemed silly. I had no intention of being a crazy parent who talked about their kids all the time. I still hadn't even come to terms with the fact that when Sadie cried it was because she needed me. ME! What a thought.
As you well know, I did keep the journal. It was actually quite easy and sort of fun to do. At first, I started posting while Sadie was sleeping on me. Later on, I found myself keeping notes on my Blackberry each week so that I could remember what to write when I got the chance. I might even put all my posts together to show Sadie one day. I certainly have enough photos to save of her.
The year flew by and I haven't quite wrapped my head around the fact that Peter and I have a daughter that's a year old. I still remember the first time we talked about whether or not each of us wanted to have kids.......
Before I got pregnant I made a lot of declarations about things I would or wouldn't do as a parent.
I think I did almost everything I said I wouldn't do and didn't do almost everything I said I would. Funny how that works isn't it?
I've heard some of our friends talk about how after having the first child they'd do things differently with the second. I'm always confused and surprised by this. Except for a few minor things like remembering to request a vegetarian meal in the hospital, I don't think there's much I would change for the next one. For the most part, everything went real smooth for us. I mean, Sadie still doesn't nap in her own bed but she sleeps in her bed at night and sleeps through the night until 7:30am so I can't really complain.
She's mellow, happy and a good eater what more could a parent ask for?
Speaking of eating, our kid is what the "experts" call a "big eater." Girl shovels it in. On Valentine's Day, Peter took us out for sushi. Sadie ate all the edamame a bunch of rice and some tofu. She was totally eyeing our sushi and I'm sure if I had given her some she would have scarfed it.
We're thinking of changing her name from chicken to moose.
Set a bowl of peas out in front of her and be sure not to blink or you'll miss her eating them. She's quick but delicate. Her pinkie is always raised and she plucks the food up off the tray ever so gently.
There isn't much she won't eat, so far it seems to be nectarines are the only things she's not so into. She loves her Goldfish and insists on having at least one in each hand and 10 in her mouth. Strawberries are her new favorite fruit. I said "new" because that banana is still holding the top spot and doesn't seem to be coming down anytime soon.
She's even started to feed herself with a spoon. She dips it into her yogurt and puts into her mouth without waving it all over the floor now.
It's taken us a while to get Sadie into brushing her teeth. At first when she was teething it wasn't a problem, she liked chewing on the bristles. But after awhile she got smart and realized what she was doing was not a game and didn't want to do it anymore.
I even tried putting her on the counter while I brushed my teeth. She held her toothbrush and brushed like I did twice.
Now, she has two toothbrushes. She uses them both at the same time. She brushes with one, smiles and then sticks the other one in and brushes some more.
Whatever it takes, man. Whatever it takes
When you say "Where's Sadie" she points to herself.
When you say "Where's mommy?" She points to her food. She'll shake her head and say "mo" if you've said "no" to her. But then she smiles coyly and does what you've just said "no" to anyway.
But, she remembers what you said "no" to. For instance. I have a cup in the bath tub that I use to pour water over Sadie when she's in the bath. She tried to drink from it once and I said "no, no don't drink." Every time she's in the bath now, she raises the cup to her lips, shakes her head and says "mo," then looks at me.
I'm totally enjoying all the hugging and kissing she's been doing. Sometimes she'll come up behind me if I'm sitting on the floor and hug me and climb around and plant one on me. It's cute and I keep telling myself to soak it in, because some day she's going to be a teenager and she's going to hate my guts for a few years.
At night before going to bed, she gives Peter 3 kisses sometimes 4 then we go off in to her bedroom to read 2 stories and rock in the chair for 3 songs, no more, no less. Trust me, she knows how many books and how many songs are going on. One of the stories is always "Where The Wild Things Are." Sadie loves her Wild Things.
Peter and I keep wondering when Sadie is going to have some hair. She has a little and you can tell it's growing but there really isn't much. It's blond and curly. When I blow dry it after her bath it smooths out a little. The next day it's a big fluffy mess no matter what. It's not long enough to clip yet. You'd think, being a hairstylist I'd know what to do about this dilemma, but I don't.
I'm pretty sure this is the second to last weekly update (the last being the one I intend to post about her party next week) I will be making about Sadie.
I bet you're happy. I'm going to try real hard to write about food. If I could post as regularly about that as I did about my kid that would be nice, wouldn't it?
enjoy!
xoxo
![]() |
| sadie 52 weeks |

1 comment:
Awww bless her - she's such a cutey. I love that she uses two tooth brushes and it's great that she's got a good appetite - sounds like she has an appetite for life too.
I'll look forward to hearing all about her birthday.
Happy First Birthday Sadie.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Post a Comment