Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Butternut Squash Soup

It's soup season, finally. Well, it WAS soup season and then it got warm again......

Butternut Squash, Delicata Squash, Acorn Squash all those funny looking winter squashes are finally in season and perfect for soups.

Here's a nice butternut squash soup recipe for you to try. It is a combination of a recipe I have from the Joy of Cooking and from Vegan with a Vengeance.

I found the soup to be interesting with the addition of the Serrano Chile pepper and fresh ginger. In the past I have used a recipe with apples (unfortunately I can't find that one or else I would share it).
You can serve this soup alone, with a nice sandwich or salad or just a hunk of crusty bread.
I have been eating it for lunch with a half of veggie or tuna sammie.

Photobucket
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
makes about 9 cups or serves about 6 people

You will need:
5 pounds butternut squash (or a mixture of winter squashes) seeds removed and roasted
*you can either peel and slice the squash in half to roast or leave the skin on and roast and scoop out the flesh after it has cooled, up to you
4 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons Earth Balance
2 large leeks, white part only, cleaned and chopped
1 Serrano Chile, chopped (you can use any spicy Chile you can find if you like)
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated (use more or less to your liking)
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups vegetable stock
salt to taste
1 Tablespoon+ pure maple syrup
Juice of 1 to 2 limes
chives, chopped (for garnish)
dollop of sour cream (vegan or regular) for garnish
Toasted squash seeds for garnish if you so desire
A rimmed baking sheet or baking dish lined with foil
a soup pot
an immersion blender, food processor or blender

Preheat your oven to 452*F
Toss the squash in the olive oil and set cut side down on the baking sheet
Bake about 40-60 minutes until it is fork tender.
Let cool (once cool scoop out inside if you didn't peel it)

Heat the earth balance in your soup pot over medium-low heat
add the leeks and Chile
saute until tender but not browned
add the ginger, garlic and salt
saute about 5 minutes more, until the garlic is fragrant
pour in 4 cups of vegetable stock and the squash
bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes
remove from heat and puree
return to the heat (and the pot if you used a blender or food processor)
stir in 2 more cups of vegetable stock, maple syrup and lime juice
add additional salt, syrup or lime if needed

Serve warm
enjoy!
xoxo

3 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

What a gorgeous looking Soup that is!!!
Thanks for the recipe.

j.cro said...

I can't wait to try this out!

For the Love of Guava said...

mmm... interesting with the syrup and the heat! I cheated and bought some pre-cut squash... this might be just the ticket to dress it up! Thanks!