Friday, August 22, 2008

Where has the time gone? mmmm potatoes

Sadie is 6 months old today!
I just can't believe it. Sometimes Peter and I laugh about how it was only a short time ago that she wasn't here. And now she's here ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!
I look at Sadie sometimes and just find it so funny to think she was so small once.
Now she flips herself out of her papasan chair, drinks from a bottle and sleeps in her own room.

Peter and I are so happy to have our bedroom back. When we first brought Sadie home and decided to keep her in our room for 6 months it seemed so far away.
Now she's sleeping her own room with little to no trouble at all. The transition wasn't as hard as I thought, the problem is she still doesn't sleep through the night. That means, I'm tired during the day, but I don't care.

Girl is scooching and becoming more and more aware of the things around her.
She's finished her rice cereal and is starting on oatmeal and has no problem with the bottle now.
I find it funny that all this time we tried to get her to take a paci to help her sleep at night and she wouldn't do it, then suddenly one day she was all over it!

I hope the next 6 months don't go quite as fast the first 6.

Last night I made a delicious baked potato casserole.
The original recipe was for a "Samosa stuffed baked potato" that I got from Veganomicon (of course). But I didn't have potatoes big enough to stuff and Peter had Indian food for lunch so I created something different and it turned out great!
I don't have a picture to show you though, but take my word for it, they're great.
We ate the potatoes with BBQ baked tofu and roasted brussels sprouts. MMMMMMMMMMM
If you want to do stuffed potatoes you'll want to bake your potatoes, let them cool and then scoop the insides out. Leave about 1/4" thickness inside and then brush the insides with a little oil.

CHIPOTLE AND CHEESE STUFFED BAKED POTATO or CHIPOTLE AND CHEESE BAKED POTATO CASSEROLE
serves about 4-8 (depending on serving size, potato size, etc)
You will need:

4 large russet potatoes or 10-12 small russets
1/4 cup vegetable broth
3 Tablespoons peanut oil
1 tsp sesame seeds or pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1 small yellow onion, diced small
1 carrot, diced small
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/4-1/2 cup grated cheese (I used the Trader Joes's mexican blend)
juice of 1/2 a lemon
Parmesan cheese (for sprinkling)
small casserole dish or baking sheet, lined

heat oven to 400*F
bake your potatoes, set aside to cool.
once cool (scrape insides for stuffed potatoes and mash)
mash potatoes with vegetable broth
heat a medium skillet with peanut oil
saute onion and carrot until onion begins to brown
add seasonings and mix
deglaze with just a little water and add the potatoes
mix to combine and cook until heated through
add water to the pan if the potatoes start to stick
once warm, add the seeds and lemon juice
adjust to taste
take off heat mix in grated cheese
transfer to the casserole dish or scooped potatoes
sprinkle with parmesan and bake for 20 mins.

you can prepare this dish ahead of time and bake before serving.
enjoy!
xoxo

2 comments:

Alison said...

How would one roast brussel sprouts? Is it as easy as it sounds? and Yay for 6 months!!

STEPHANIE said...

It's very easy!
Heat your oven to 400*F.
cut the bottom of the sprouts and then cut them in half.
line a baking sheet with foil and lightly oil it.
place the sprouts cut side down and lightly oil the tops.
Roast for abot 20-30mins, until the tops begin to brown.
They're so good and crunchy.