Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Eat more tacos! Tofu Marsala and vegan pancakes

This week went by fast for us.
Not a whole lot happened either.
Grandpa came over for lunch on Friday and Sadie showed off her "eat more tacos" shirt that Jim, Alison and Riley bought her.
Photobucket
On Saturday we went into SF to shop a little. It's hard to shop when Sadie eats every 2 hours or so.
Peter and I like to search the racks at Loehman's and I love a good browse at Forever 21 but with the chicken we have to be very fast or else I end up feeding her like this.
Photobucket
Sitting in front of Forever 21 on Powell street watching the tourists walk by isn't so bad, but I suppose sitting in a bunch of cigarette butts probably wasn't the smartest thing I could have done.
On Sunday we met up with the Weintraub fam down at Picante for burritos.
The weather was great that day considering it had been raining the day before.
My mom came over on Monday for a haircut and took us all out to lunch at Herbivore.
It was pretty Delicious and Sadie actually slept the whole time so I got to eat lunch with both hands!
Sadie has outgrown her Moses basket so we are trying to get her to sleep in the Pack 'n' Play before sending her off to her crib in her own room.
Clearly, she's not feeling it because she keeps ending up here.
Photobucket
That's right, that's our bed.
I know, I said I'd never do it but Dr. Sears said it was okay so.................

Sadie is also really loosing her hair now. It looks pretty bad and Peter keeps begging me to cut it and make it look nice but I refuse.
Photobucket
Poor chicken. I keep putting hats on her so no one sees her hair!
We love her anyway even if she looks like the result of a nuclear disaster.
I can't wait to see what her real hair is going to look like!
It's been pretty sunny lately and Peter thought Sadie should get some shades.
Photobucket
She decided to borrow his until we could find a better pair. :)

I finally fit into my old jeans and don't have to wear Peter's anymore if I don't want to which makes me feel pretty good!

On Saturday we made some pancakes and turkey bacon.
The pancakes are vegan, the bacon.....is not.
Peter was very proud of his plate.
Photobucket
Peter likes a nice thin pancake. I made two batches one thin and one light and fluffy with mashed bananas. Both were pretty awesome.
PANCAKES
makes about 8-10
you will need:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup + extra for thinning soy milk
2 Tablespoons canola oil
3 Tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 bananas mashed (optional)

get your griddle nice and hot
combine the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another (add bananas if using)
add the wet to the dry and stir until just combined

thin with additional soy milk to make a thin pancake. (thin it until it is runny)
Using a ladle or measuring cup, drop batter onto griddle
cook until the bubbles have disappeared and flip
keep warm in a 200*F oven

Monday night, I made Tofu Marsala. We have a nice little herb garden going on our balcony so I was fortunate enough to use fresh basil which really makes a huge difference in the taste.
I would also add some flat leaf parsley if I had it.
Both Peter and I ate every last bite.
Photobucket
TOFU MARSALA
serves 2
you will need:
1lb firm tofu, drained and pressed (it is best to do this a least a few hours before but if not that's okay)
olive oil spray
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound mixed mushrooms (cremini, oyster, shiitake) chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup dry Marsala
2 cups vegetable broth
1/3 cup soy cream
5 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 to 3/4 cup grated Parmesan

Heat your oven to 350*F
spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray
cut the tofu into triangles or whatever shape you like so that there are four piece of tofu for each person.
press any excess water out
place on baking sheet and spray with olive oil spray
bake in oven until the edges start to turn golden but the tofu is still soft
Depending on how long you drained and pressed, this could take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour.

In a large skillet heat the oil. When almost smoking, add the onions and garlic over medium-low heat until the onions have started to caramelize, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Raise heat to high and saute until mushrooms are tender and all the liquid has evaporated. Remove pan from heat and pour in Marsala. Return pan to stove and allow wine to evaporate, about 3 minutes. Add vegetable broth and simmer for 1/2 hour until the sauce has reduced by half. Add the soy cream and mix well. Take the pan off the heat and add the fresh herbs and Parmesan and mix thoroughly.
enjoy!
xoxo

2 comments:

j.cro said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
j.cro said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm