Thursday, July 5, 2007

Where to start?

I know I've been slacking on the blogging.
It was my birthday and then I went to Colorado for a week with Peter so I guess we have a lot to catch up on.

First let me start by saying I had a great birthday but I am most definately getting soft in my old age. I was only able to eat one cupcake. It was from Magnolia and it tasted like a big old stick of butter. I didn't even eat the whole thing. Such a dissapointment.

Before we left for Colorado, Peter and I decided to take a tour of Ellis Island. Neither one of us had done it before and we always see it when we walk/run through Liberty State Park.
Let me just say, it was real boring. The ferry ride was the best part about the whole thing and that was only about 10 minutes.
My pictures make it look a little more exciting, but really even my old converse shoe gets me more excited.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I'm sure you know what this is.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This is the entrance to Ellis Island. Apparently it is the original entrance, however it has been made into a tourist attraction so it's kind of hard to imagine it in the old days.
When you first arrive, you watch a movie about what the island was like. I think the movie was the best part. It really made you feel like you were "there."
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Once on the island the immigrants line up in this area and wait.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I guess long ago, there used to be rows and rows of seating and podiums. As you can tell Peter is as excited as me.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Upstairs are the examining rooms. You weren't allowed in them but the museum showed you what they looked like - sort of.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This room is an example of an examining room. The museum ruined it for us. It didn't really capture the heart of the island. I didn't really get a feeling for anything. It was just display after display.
I don't know maybe we both need a little
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
But I'm pretty sure if you ask other visitors they would have said the same thing.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The hospital outside was all boarded up. That gave me the creeps, there must be so many germs in there.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
These are children's shoes that were left behind.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Of course Peter pointed these signs out and thought they were funny.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Throughout the museum, there were quotes from people who came to Ellis Island. Some of them were pretty funny in a way.
At the end of our tour I asked Peter what he thought.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
That says it all, doesn't it?


Colorado was nice and relaxing. We stayed in Edwards, CO which is near Vail. It's all very beautiful and expensive. I started to feel bad for Peter after a while because he travels a lot for work and eating out starts to get old after the first few days. I had all of these plans to do a bunch of activities but ended up not doing much for reasons I will explain later.

I won't bore you with all the pictures but if you want to see them you can find them here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/kidcupcake/Colorado

As for the 4th of July? It was spent on the couch watching the Law and Order marathon on TNT. It seems like we do that for every holiday.
We ate chicken tacos and made coconut cupcakes. Peter suggested I fill them with peanut butter, which I did.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
They tasted pretty good!
and that'a about it!

enjoy!
xoxoxo

3 comments:

j.cro said...

At first look of the cupcakes they look totally flat like pancakes and I thought, "that's sad they turned out flat" and then I had that "OHHHHH YEAH" moment where I finally realized they're still in the pan.

DUH.

STEPHANIE said...

Ha, that's funny.
They actually sank a little in the center. I think I got anxious and opened the oven too soon.

STEPHANIE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.