Monday, June 11, 2007

Lobsterfest '07 in Ocean City

This weekend we went to Ocean City with Karen, Dave, Deville, Matt, Jana, Maria and Miles to have lobster, fried food and the best pizza ever.
It was a lot of fun. We made grilled lobster, steamed clams, steak, chicken, pasta salad, cucumber salad, guacamole, grilled portobello mushrooms, corn, shrimps and probably some other stuff I am forgetting.
I of course forgot my camera so all pictures featured here are by Jana Crawford-O'Brien, who takes better pictures than me anyway because she's pro.
Dave and I were in charge of the lobster and clams (the shrimps were already cooked at the market). We made sure to discuss every step before getting started.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Then we decided to introduce each of the lobsters to each other before putting them to sleep. Afterall, they would be sharing a tight space with one another.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
One lobster was so excited to be there, he jumped off the counter and started flipping around.
Before falling asleep, this lobster thought it might be a good idea to have some ice cream.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
It is always recommended to steam or par boil the lobsters before grilling, that way you ensure they are cooked properly.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
After steaming them, place the lobsters in a pot of cold water and cool down.
Split them open on the underside and brush with some butter before grilling.
Having never made clams before I decided to get a recipe off of the internet so that I wouldnt' ruin them. The recipe calls for beer but we were running low so I used white wine instead and it was a hit.
Beer Steamed Clams
Ingredients:
24 live Clams
2 Tbsp fresh Parsley, chopped
12 oz Beer
chopped Garlic
Butter (1 stick)
Place clams in the bottom of a clam steamer or deep boiling pot.
Add beer.
Beer level should be only 1-2 inches from kettle/pot bottom.
Cover and bring beer to a boil and steam until top clams barely open (about 3-5 minutes).
Do not over cook, as clams will become tough and rubbery.
Serve with garlic butter, prepared by sautéing chopped garlic and fresh parsley with a melted stick of butter.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Jana and I stayed up in the kitchen while the guys got to work on the grill. Jana made a delicious cucumber salad with tomotoes, dill, sesame oil and of course cucumbers.
The pasta salad was pretty awesome too, but I don't know if Karen or Jana made that one. In fact, I'm hoping to get the recipe for both salads so I can make them at home. (hint, hint)
I made a marinade for the steak and portobellos out of coca-cola, worcestershire, honey teriyaki, red chili flakes, garlic powder, ginger and salt and pepper. (bascially, whatever I could find in the kitchen).
Matt did an excellent job on the grill, the steaks were like butter. I think a good time was had by all, even Deville who showed up looking very festive.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
After cleaning up our mess, we decided to take our full bellies down to the boardwalk for some fun.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
There were so many flashing lights and sounds and the smell of sugar everywhere I couldn't help but foam at the mouth a little.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The Ferris Wheel looked so big and scary that we thought it would be fun to ride it.
Peter and I were trying to pretend like we weren't scared.
After I saw that the the entire cage was closed I started to feel a little better.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The view from the top was pretty cool (and freezing!)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This Dance Dance Revolution game is everywhere, but who knew that you could get a full-on workout with it? This guy had on his gym clothes, with a towel, bottle of water and paper towels. He was sweating so bad. At first it was funny, then we started to wonder why he didn't just go to the gym.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
It's pretty hard to walk on the boardwalk and not see and smell the fried food. After having just enjoyed a lovely lobsterfest, you would think we wouldn't be hungry at all, but you'd be wrong.
It started with Karen's fried potato chips.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Everyone laughed at her for getting them, but of course we all devoured them equally in a matter of seconds.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Mmmmmmm, fried food.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Once the seal was broken it was on to Mack and Manco for some of the best pizza ever. The crust is so thin and crispy. There's sauce and cheese and more sauce. It is definately one of the best pizzas I've ever had.
I think we each ate two slices that night. It was just insane.
After pizza, it was time for dessert. We saw this....
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
But decided Korr Bros. ice cream was the way to go. They have a vanilla/orange combo that is to die for. Top that off with some rainbow Jimmy's and you can fughettaboutit! :)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
You can see Peter in the background, laughing and thinking "oh hell no, I'm not eating that." But he did right before he went back to Mack and Mancos for another slice of pizza.
None of us could believe how much we ate, and we didn't even feel sick or full which was the funniest part about it.
The next morning, as if we didn't get enough to eat the night before we went back down to the boardwalk. Everyone joked that they just wanted pizza for breakfast, but I think we all knew it was the truth.
I saw a sign for "apple cider doughnuts" that peaked my interest so we stopped off for an amuse bouche.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
They were good, but not what I was expecting. I thought they would taste more like apple or something.
Mack and Manco wasn't open yet so our first course of the day would be at Giuseppe's where you can get breakfast for $2.95.
The place was decorated like an old italian restaurant complete with crystal chandeliers, and red and green decor.
We shopped a little, played some games and of course got our pictures taken in the booth.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Then Peter saw this sign....
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
It made Matt laugh so hard he fell down. I guess nut jokes never get old.
But more importantly, it was back to Mack and Manco for one last slice.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Just look at all this deliciousness, it's too bad it's in South Jersey and I live in North Jersey!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
It was such a nice weekend and everyone was laughing and having a great time. It's been a while since Peter and I have hung out with a group of friends like that.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

6 comments:

j.cro said...

I got your hint hint... Here you go!!

PASTA SALAD:
1 lb. pasta – any kind will do, but I would suggest using elbows, rotini or fusilli.
1 good sized green bell pepper
1 good sized red bell pepper
1 can black colossal olives – you can use green olives if that’s your preference or fresh olives too.
Sesame oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and whatever other seasonings curl your toes. I think we might have used garlic powder this time, b/c that’s pretty much all there was a in the cabinet.
We also happened to have fresh dill on hand, which was quite nice!

Cook/prepare pasta according to package directions.
Chop the peppers and the olives while the pasta is cooking. Chop ‘em pretty small, I guess you could say dice them.
Throw everything in a bowl and start seasoning to taste and toss.
It’s pretty simple stuff.

CUCUMBER DILL SALAD:
2 good sized cucumbers – peeled, sliced in half and then cut into somewhat thin slices. You can also use Kirby’s, which I prefer b/c they’re crunchier, but you’d probably need about five or six of these.
Half a pint of grape or cherry tomatoes – quartered
Fresh dill to taste
Sesame oil to taste
I also thought it would have been nice to put some rice vinegar in this, but we didn’t have any… so if you give it a try let me know.
Again, throw everything in a bowl, stir or toss around and then season to taste.

I didn’t use any measuring cups or anything so it’s really hard for me to say how much of the seasoning I used.

I need you to tell me how you made the clam broth again. I know you told me but I forgot. I’m a dork.

STEPHANIE said...

Clam Broth-
The one in my blog sounds better to me but here's how we ended up doing the other night.
Melt butter
Add some white wine, garlic powder, salt and pepper
Bring to a boil
Add lemon juice.
Taste and adjust to your liking
Add a little of the clam broth (to your liking)
Bring to a boil again
serve.
I think that if I had started with the clams in the sauce and boiled them that way, it would have tasted better instead of steaming them and then putting them in the broth.

j.cro said...

Yes, now I remember you saying that about the clams and it's all coming back to me.

SKATER-BABY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SKATER-BABY said...

wow..you are sounding almost 100% jersey! The only thing that gave it away was that people above exit 8 order their cones with sprinkles not jimmies.

Oh..and for the record..those fries had vinegar and ketchup!!!

STEPHANIE said...

Oh well, the only reason I said "jimmys" was because that's what it said on the menu at Korr Bros. otherwise I would have said sprinkles like a good like CA girl. :)
I forgot about that yummy vinegar.