Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Apple Chips and something dee-lish!

When I was a kid my mom used to buy these totally awesome apple chip snacks. They were slightly crunchy and sour and I loved them.
I've tried a few times to find them again but haven't had any luck.
I decided to make my own instead. My version came out pretty well but nothing like the ones from my childhood. My mandolin only has measurement (thin cut) on it so I couldn't make them in different sizes. I also used Golden Delicious apples which are great but I think a green apple or even a pink lady would be better because I really like things tart and sweet.
I substituted agave nectar and honey for sugar which actually worked out great. These chips make a great snack but also look great as a garnish on any dish. I bet they would even taste great in a salad.
They do get soft pretty fast if there is any moisture in the air, so pack them up tight and re-crisp them in a low oven if needed.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Apple Chips
You will need:
4 apples (green, golden delicious, pink lady or your choice)
1/3 cup agave nectar
2 Tablespoons honey
1/2 cup water
cinnamon and allspice to taste
1 lemon, juiced
Silpat
baking sheets

Preheat your oven to 250*F
Combine all the ingredients except for the apples and bring to a boil.
Let cool and set aside
Slice your apples (by hand or with a mandolin) at the desired thickness
Dip each slice in the liquid and place on the silpat.
Let them dry out in the oven (oven times vary depending on thickness)
*test for crispness by removing a slice and laying flat on a cool surface for 1-2 minutes. Apples will remain soft until cooled.

And now for something totally delicious!
When Peter and I first arrived in Jersey City we ate dinner at this restaurant near our house called Marco and Pepe. They have some of the best macaroni and cheese ever. The menu changes slightly on a regular basis (except for dessert which continues to be mediocre). I've had some really delicious soups and salads there as well.
It was there that we were first introduced to Luzon Verde. A Spanish red wine from the Jumilla region that is 100% Monastrell grape and organic. Jumilla has been known for its production of heavy full bodied red wines with 17% alcohol, however in recent years there has been a shift towards producing younger and lighter styles of wines. The Luzon Verde bottle has 13.5% alcohol by volume.
We immediately fell in love with this wine and wanted to get more. I looked everywhere for it but couldn't seem to find it. We would go back to Marco and Pepe just to order the wine, until they were permanently out of it.
Until one day I discovered it at the Chelsea Market. At $9.99 a bottle, this wine is a steal. Not only is a great but it's totally affordable. But guess what? The next time I went to buy more, they told me it was out until the next year was produced!
We were sad and kicking ourselves for not trying to get a case of it when we had the chance.
Anyhow, the other day when we went to Westfield, NJ to visit some friends, we stopped to buy beer at large liquor store. I like to cruise the wine aisles as Peter picks out his brew. What do you know Luzon Verde right before my eyes! I bought the last 4 bottles on the shelf and all was right with the world.
S the other day we were craving some chocolate. There aren't many choices at the local ShopRite. There's Ghiradelli and maybe a Scharffenberger here and there. We decided on a bar of Lindt (who owns Ghirdelli, by the way) 70%. It's much cheaper than the fancy organic and french bars I usually bring home, but hey when you need it, you need, you know? Besides, the new Hersey Cacao Reserve bars scare me a little.
That night as we sat watching the second to last Sopranos episode drinking our delicious Luzon Verde, we unwrapped our chocolate bar.
At first bite, the bar isn't really anything spectacular, in fact it's a bit waxy. But take a bite and drink a little wine with it and the most amazing cherry flavor ever comes out and your mouth waters with approval.
I've tried many chocolate/wine pairings and this by far exceeds most. You must try it.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The Luzon Verde is a great wine and can be served with variety of foods. In the summer we like to put our reds in the fridge and drink them chilled instead of switching to white wine. The Luzon Verde tastes great chilled or at room temp.

I can't wait for the sun to go down so that we can open another bottle and have some chocolate!
enjoy,
xoxo

2 comments:

j.cro said...

Why wait?? It's cocktail hour SOMEWHERE in this world, isn't it?

Alison said...

Pink lady apples are pretty much the only ones we buy...I go to a specialty food market for them b/c they're so damn crisp and delicious. Oh and for the record, I'm ecstatic you are staying in NJ, even if it is just for the time being!