I have had the hardest time finding a good vegan brownie recipe. I've tried a lot and they all seem to either be too cakey or just plain yucky tasting. A lot of times they turn out great and then the next time I make them they don't work out at all.
The best brownie I have ever made was a recipe from the back of the King Arthur Flour sack. Not vegan.
I'm not vegan which is always funny to me. I just love the challenge of vegan baking. I've also been hit with a bad case of the guilties Ever since I took an interest in all things vegan and vegetarian, I haven't been able to use eggs, milk or regular butter.
It would be so much easier if I could. But, I can't.
Anyway, there's a little bakery in NYC called Babycakes. They are an allergen-free, vegan bakery that is very popular.
So popular, in fact that Erin Mckenna, the owner of the said bakery has just published a cookbook.
Now, I haven't actually been to the bakery. Once on J.Cro's birthday a few years ago, Kate brought some cupcakes from the bakery to try. I don't even really remember what they tasted like. But, I was intrigued by the fact that this bakery was vegan. Not just any old vegan-type place. These baked goods were being made with ingredients I had never thought to use.
When I heard that a cookbook was coming out, I placed it on my Amazon wish list. (my birthday is June 21st FYI) :) :)
I've done this before though, placing a book on my list, buying it and then coming to find that the recipes suck. Too lazy to return the book, I tuck it under other cookbooks that I don't use much and say "I'll just come back to this one." I usually never do.
After reading the Babycakes blog one day I saw that Erin was on The Martha Stewart Show making her chocolate brownies.
I quickly did a search for the episode online and printed out the recipe.
I went to the store, bought my ingredients, and skeptically mixed everything together.
Carefully, I placed each tray of brownie bites into the oven, trying to time them just right so as not to over bake them.
What I ended up with was pretty good brownie. A little, cakey but very tasty.
Peter ate 3, and that's major for him. He hardly ever eats my treats. Not because they suck (well sometimes because they suck) but because he's not much of a sweets person.
Don't be alarmed by the Garbanzo/Fava bean flour. I was only able to find Garbanzo Bean flour. I decided to mix Garbanzo bean and All purpose flour together just for the hell of it because I don't have any food allergies and can use AP flour.
I guess, by going after vegan baking, what I'm trying to do is just find a healthier way to indulge. Experimenting with new ingredients, textures and techniques is just an added bonus!
You can find the brownie recipe here.
If you're interested the Babycakes cookbook can be found here.
enjoy!
xoxo
1 comment:
Great post ....Hey I have a very interesting resource to share with you .Its about feeding your kids healthy foods. Eating healthy and developing a healthy attitude to eating in childhood depends on many different factors. Nourishment depends on the the ingredients and method of preparation. Learn more on Healthy eating habits
Post a Comment