This recipe was inspired by my friend Scott Dubya.
He made something similar to it when we went up to Davis a while ago for brunch and a family hangout.
I have been craving it ever since and finally got around to making my own version at home.
I couldn't remember what exactly was in the tahini sauce that he made so I found a recipe for Tahini Dill Sauce in Veganomicon that sounded pretty good and made my own adjustments to it.
I guess it could be classified as a "Florentine" because it has spinach in it and a sauce on top?
The tahini sauce was so good I used the leftover sauce on some reheated pasta one afternoon for lunch. Actually, just writing about it now is making my mouth water a little.
Two things I really love about tofu scrambles are that you can make a batch, keep it in the fridge and have a good breakfast for a few days and it's filling so you don't get hungry an hour after eating it.
You can also add pretty much anything you want to it, potatoes, beans, veggies, use your imagination!
I don't have a picture to show you. Lately, I've been taking really bad pictures. Worse than what I normally take. It must be a phase or something. I hope I come out of it soon. There's nothing I hate more than a recipe without a picture!
Just trust me on this one, you're gonna like it.
TOFU FLORENTINE WITH TAHINI SAUCE
inspired by Scott Dubya
Tofu Scramble adapted from Vegan With a Vengeance
Tahini Sauce adapted from Veganomicon
Feeds 4-6
You will need:
For the scramble:
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium sized yellow onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups fresh spinach, washed and packed
1 pound extra firm tofu, drained
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 carrot peeled and grated
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground paprika
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp salt
water for deglazing pan
a large skillet
For the sauce:
1/4 cup tahini
1/2 cup water
1 clove garlic, chopped coarsely
juice of 1 lemon
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
1-2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp hot paprika (as opposed to sweet)
water or vegetable broth for thinning
an immersion blender, food processor or blender (don't worry if you don't have anything. Just mince your garlic and whisk the sauce well.)
a small sauce pot
4-6 English muffins
Earth Balance because it's so much better if you butter it.
First-
make your sauce
mix together in a bowl everything except the garlic and oil
whisk to combine
in a small saucepan heat the oil over medium heat
add your garlic and saute until fragrant
add the other ingredients and whisk well
add liquid until it becomes pourable
puree and keep warm until ready to use adding any additional liquid if needed
Next-
get your English muffins ready to toast either in the toaster or on a sheet to go in the oven
Make the scramble:
heat the oil in your skillet over medium-high heat.
Saute the onions until tender
add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
add the spinach and cook until it begins to wilt
add your spice blend
toss to coat and deglaze with a bit of water, scraping the bottom of the pan
crumble the tofu into the pan and mix well
as you stir the tofu will continue to crumble into smaller bits
cook for about 15 minutes adding water as needed to keep from sticking or burning
lower the heat if you need to.
*Toast the English muffins*
add the grated carrot to the tofu and cook for 2 minutes more
remove from heat and add the lemon juice and nutritional yeast
mix well
butter each muffin and place a generous serving of tofu and sauce on top
serve warm
enjoy!
xoxo
1 comment:
Hey, look, I'm famous! My only difference is that I use dijon mustard in the sauce instead of balsamic. I'll have to try it that way and then add dijon if it seems like it's needed. Now I want to make that again. Mmmmm.
Post a Comment