Saturday, October 11, 2008

Vegan Mofo: Chili Mole

Photobucket

This recipe is a combination of my own imagination and a variation of a mole recipe from Veganomicon.
The mole sauce is outstanding. It can be used for so many different things.
I thought it would be good as a chili and boy was I right.
As it states in the book it isn't an authentic mole sauce, but it's real good, so who cares?
Serve it up with a side of cornbread (of which I don't have a recipe for that I love, so any suggestions would be appreciated) and you're good to go.
Feel free to add more ingredients to your chili, there's no reason why you can't!

Photobucket
CHILI MOLE
Serves 6-8
Make in crock pot or on stove top

You will need:
Spice mixture:
1/3 cup sliced almonds (I used chopped pistachios)
1/3 cup crushed tortilla chips
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tsp aniseeds (I didn't have any so I skipped this part)
3-4 tsp chili powder (use a mix of ancho and chipotle)
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp allspice

Mole Base:
3 Tablespoons peanut oil
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 small onion, diced (I used yellow)
2 cups hot vegetable broth (homemade or pre-made) kept hot on the stove
2 Tablespoons creamy all natural peanut butter ( I used crunchy)
1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
3 ounces 60% semisweet chocolate, chopped

Chili Ingredients:
2 cups vegetable broth or water (to thin out mole)
2 cans each black beans and kidney beans
2 cups shredded zucchini
1-2 cups corn (either frozen, canned or fresh)
1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon, peanut oil
1 large leek, chopped fine
or
1 med onion, diced small and sauteed in peanut oil until slightly brown
1 package Yves ground soy
nutritional yeast (or shredded cheese)
vegan sour cream
chives
a crock pot
an immersion blender, food processor or blender

Heat almonds, chips, sesame seeds and aniseeds in a medium sauce pot on medium heat
stir constantly until toasted (about 2 mins)
set aside to cool slightly
grind as fine as you can

Make the mole base:

Heat the peanut oil in the same pot
saute the garlic until it starts to sizzle
add the onion and saute for about 5 minutes
mix enough of the warm vegetable broth with the peanut butter so that it is easy to pour
pour the remaining vegetable broth, peanut butter, spice mixture and diced tomatoes
bring to a boil
lower heat and let simmer 8-10 minutes until reduced slightly
remove from heat, blend until smooth
return to pot on low heat
add chocolate
stir until melted and completely incorporated
makes about 3 cups

Prepare chili ingredients:
If using a pot instead of a crock pot:
Heat peanut oil in a large pot over medium heat
Saute leeks or onion until slightly brown
add beans, zucchini, tomatoes, corn, ground soy and about 1-1 1/2 cups of the mole sauce
add vegetable broth or water
raise heat to high
bring to a boil
lower heat and simmer until thickened.
Serve warm with nutritional yeast (or shredded cheese), sour cream
and chives

If using a crock pot:
saute leeks or onion in a small skillet until slightly browned
place all of the ingredients into the crock pot (except the nutritional yeast, sour cream or chives)
cook on low setting for 4-8 hours until thickened
serve warm with nutritional yeast (or shredded cheese), sour cream and chives

enjoy!
xoxo

4 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

Oh WOW!
That looks and sounds absolutely amazing!
Thanks for the recipe - I'm giving this a go for sure!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That looks AMAZING!

Alison said...

Where do you find the time? That looks awesome..I love me some mole!

test it comm said...

I really like the sound of chili with a mole sauce!