The whole fam got together and made a weekend of it. It was so much fun.
Friday night we kicked off with some BBQ and cake.

Devil's food cake with a chocolate hazelnut filling, white chocolate ganache frosting and some dark chocolate panels around the sides. (yes, I made the whole thing, even the panels).

Grams and Gramps were so happy we were all there. But we missed Jeff, Beth and Mia, who couldn't be with us.

This is me trying to show you my double chin.
Saturday was my baby shower.
We had lunch, played some games, opened presents and ate cupcakes.

My mom did a great job on the decorations.

Where I come from, showers are done in the home and close friends and family are invited.
I went to a few showers on the east coast while living there and was so surprised at how lavish they were. All of them are in restaurants and a million people are invited. Some of the things people register for and actually expect people to buy are pretty amazing too.
But I guess that's how it works there.

I think I did pretty well with my gifts.

Everyone of course kept complaining that it would have been easier if we knew the sex. I mean really, there are so few surprises in life, you know? As a party favor I gave out a chocolate zucchini cake to each of my guests. (recipe at the bottom)

And of course, Peter showed up conveniently just after everyone had gone home.

Later that night we went out for seafood to celebrate my grandparents 60th anniversary.
It's crazy to think they have been married for so long!
Sunday we had brunch and Peter put our new crib together.

Get me some wine.

For some reason, holding his toe helps him think.

Yes, I did it!
The finished product.

For Hanukkah, my MIL gave me a new cookbook called Chocolate and Zucchini.
It's written by a french girl who moved to SF and fell in love with food. (um, yeah because the bay area rocks!)
When she moved back to France, she started a blog and eventually wrote a cookbook.
I used the chocolate and zucchini cake recipe from her book for the teacakes for my shower.
They turned out quite well. You don't really taste the zucchini, which I think is the point.
Chocolate Zucchini cake
makes 1 10-inch cake
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp
2 cups all purpose flour
1/cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp instant coffee granules (I used some brewed coffee instead)
3 large eggs
2 cups unpeeled and grated zucchini (about 1 1/2 medium zucchinis)
1 cup good quality bittersweet chocolate chips
Powdered sugar for garnishing
Preheat your oven to 350*F
grease your cake pan with butter or oil
in a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
set aside
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add the vanilla, coffee and eggs. (add eggs one-at-a-time)
Take one cup of flour and place it in a medium sized bowl with the zucchini and chocolate chips.
toss to coat.
Add the flour to the cake mixture and mix until just combined.
Add the zucchini, chips and flour mixture, and stir until just combined.
Pour into cake pan.
Bake 40-50 minutes until top springs back when touched. Test with a toothpick in the center.
(it should be clean but don't be confused by the melted chocolate chips)
Let cool.
Slide the back of a knife around the edges and turn upside down onto wax paper or a cake circle covered in saran wrap. Do not remove the cake pan (this locks in moisture)
Continue to cool completely.
Once cool remove pan and turn over onto a plate or cake circle.
Garnish with powdered sugar before serving.
enjoy!
xoxoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment