Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Turkey and Mozz sammy

I've gained 2 pounds since my last visit to the doctor.
I feel like I have gained 20, with the amount of food I have been eating!

The other night I made this sandwich.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
It was so good, Peter finished his in a record breaking 1.5 minutes!

Turkey and Mozzarella sandwich (makes enough for some sandwiches and leftovers)
You will need:
1 pound extra lean ground turkey (if it's not lean, you will have to drain it once it's cooked)
1 box POMI marinara sauce (Rao's marinara sauce is real good too)
1 white or yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 handful baby bella mushrooms, chopped
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil + extra for drizzling
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 loaves french bread (depending on how many sandwiches you want to make)
(originally, we were going to eat it as a closed sandwich, but then decided it was better open face)
balsamic vinegar
fresh mozzarella cheese

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
Add the chopped onions and sweat until translucent.
Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
Add the ground turkey, mix to combine and cook through
Add the mushrooms and cook until tender.
Add the marinara sauce, mix to combine and cook until the sauce has thickened (5-10min)
Salt and pepper to taste
take off heat and set aside

slice your baguette into desired sandwich size
drizzle with olive oil and toast lightly
drizzle with balsamic vinegar and place a generous amount of the turkey mixture on one slice of bread
slice mozz accordingly and place on top of turkey mixture
place under broiler until cheese has melted and is bubbly
serve immediately

I saved my leftover turkey mixture for pasta the following the night. mmmmmmm!
xoxo

No comments: