Friday, March 23, 2007

Have some nuts.......

I had some leftover curry powder from my chicken salad the other day so I decided to make curried cashews.
They are really easy to make. Place them in a bowl as a snack or package them up real nice and send them off as a gift.
You can also substitute any spice or seasoning in place of the curry and cayenne. The flavor combinations are endless. Store them in an airtight container in a cool dry place.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Curried Cashews
You will need:
4 cups (about 16oz) whole raw cashews
1 egg white
1 Tablespoon curry powder
½ tsp. cayenne powder
Foil or parchment paper
A baking sheet
A small whisk or fork
Spatula or spoon for mixing.

First let me start by saying there are two ways to separate an egg.
1) Crack the egg into a bowl and with your hand or slotted spoon, gently scoop out the yolk.
2) (The French way) Crack the egg, split it in half and move the yolk back and forth into each half while the whites drop into a bowl. Be careful not to pierce the yolk with the jagged edges of the shell.
Either way works and is acceptable.

Heat your oven to 250*F
Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment and set aside
In a large bowl whisk egg white with a small whisk or fork until frothy and loose
(Tilt the bowl to one side to make it easier, or use a small bowl first and then transfer it)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Add the curry powder and cayenne powder, whisk to combine
Add the cashews and stir with spatula or spoon until completely coated
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Transfer onto your baking sheet and spread evenly
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Place in oven and bake until nuts are dry (about 20 min +/-)
They will be dull and dry to the touch when they are done
Make sure you check them occasionally and stir them around so they don’t stick
Let them cool before eating them (they'll be soft until they cool).
Once they are cool, pop a couple of nuts in your mouth and enjoy!

3 comments:

Alison said...

I have a food question..what's the best icing/frosting for coloring? I need to make 64 cupcakes for Jim's sister's baby shower and I need to make them light blue, yellow, and white. I usually make a almond cream cheese frosting but found that the last time I made it, it didn't take coloring well (it made the frosting runny even though I use paste dyes). I'm guessing buttercream? Help me Obi Wan..

STEPHANIE said...

Yes, buttercream frosting works best. You can use the cream cheese frosting. With paste dyes, I usually at them at the beginning when it's just the cream cheese before any flavorings or powdered sugar, etc. That way if it's runny you can add more powdered sugar to tighten it up.
I prefer liquid dyes because it usually only takes a drop or two to get the color you want. The paste ones always seem to mess things up for me.
Do you need a buttercream recipe?

Alison said...

yeah, I would love your buttercream recipe as I never make buttercream...I'm a cream cheese frosting kind of girl.

Have you ever made a white chocolate buttercream?